Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Journal #9-Rational v. Emotional

I have a friend that is always emotional. Her name is Abby, and she attends Glenwood High. She is always having issues with her boyfriend, and I am the lucky one who gets to hear all about them. She gets very emotional when her and her boyfriend are fighting, which is always, and I have to find a way to calm her down and make her feel better about herself. I think this side of a person is really important in friendships. To have someone there who you can go to chat with that will always make you feel better is important. Whenever Abby is having one of these crying fits over her jerk of a boyfriend, I have to comfort her. Comments like "You deserve better," "He is such a jerk just dump him," and many more are common amongst these conversations. I usually try to say anything that will calm Abby down, even if I don't always mean it. She could be balling with mascara running down her face and I will say the nicest, sweetest, most friendly comment I could think of in order to make her stop crying. When cases like these come about, I try to stay calm and be comforting to stop Abby's exhausting outburst of emotion. It's important to be this way because it will balance the feelings. Using aggressive confrontations to control angered emotions will never end well. I'm not really an intense person, so an agressive confrontation would never be my style. This journal topic is actually kind of funny because Abby and I recently got into it. We had a large disagreement, and I had to find a way to make things better. She used her anger and gossip to tear me down, and I had to defend myself in the most calm and pleasant way possible. By the time the drama is all over, I look better because I chose to handle the siuation respectfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment