Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Journal #7- Bullying

Bullying is an awful epidemic that has been a large topic in today's media. Suicides have been committed as a result of bullying, and advocates have since stood up to discuss the situation and help prevent similar actions. There are many kinds of bullying. Making fun of a person and teasing them about personal problems is probably the most common form of bullying. I will admit that I have witnessed a situation where someone is jokingly teasing another student, but the victim doesn't find it to be funny. I pride myself on knowing that if I ever got caught up in a bully/victim situation, I would put an end to it, but at this particular instance, I did nothing. This is not my proudest moment, so I am not happy to admit it. I just felt that letting the jokes go would be easier thatn making a scene out of the comments and embarrassing the student that is getting teased. Looking back, I know that saying something could have reassured the victim, and helped them realize that they were doing nothing wrong and didn't deserve the comments.

I truly believe that kids learn from what they see. Adults in the media make fun of each other and make nasty comments towards one another. Kids just see these actions and relate them into their own lives. It annoys me so much when grown ups preach and preach on how you need to be nice and respect ohers, yet they don't take their own advice and make inappropriate comments toowards others. Hate is a strong word, but it is what we are doing when we start rumors and gossip about each other. It can be hard to stay away from, but living without this hate makes for a much more positive life.

No comments:

Post a Comment