Thursday, September 8, 2011

Journal #4 - 21st Century Punishment

As a preface for this journal entry, I would like to tell my mother, Joansie, to never, ever, ever, ever, ever read what I am about to write. Since it deals with consequencing the children of the 21st Century, Joansie should have nothing to do with it. Plus, I don't need to be giving my own mother ideas to ruin my life. Okay, now that that issue is covered we can begin.

Kids of the 21st Century spend all of their time glued to technology. Television, iPods, and the internet are just a few ways that my generation finds to procrastinate on work and to waste time. I have heard of many cases where parents will take away laptops or cell phones as a punishment for their children. I have never had any issue with said punishment because I am a perfect child. (Again, Joansie should never read this.) I receive complaints all the times from friends who get their phones turned off of get their keys taken away. However, if I was given the punishment of no phone or laptop, I would do anything to get them back. It would probably work very well because some kids would go crazy without these pieces of technology. Taking away cars is also a common punishment because then kids are unable to hang out with their friends let alone leave the house.

If I were a parent today, with a 21st Century child, I would use parental controls to punish my kids. I would consider television to be my life. Reality, News, criminal shows, I love them all! If it was a Thursday night, I would be looking forward to watching Jersey Shore all day. Just imagine: I go to sit down on my couch with snacks and turn the TV to channel 160 only to see a parental control pop up! I would be so mad! My mother is a baby of the baby boom generation; therefore, she is to old to understand technology. Thank goodness. (Sorry Joansie)

No comments:

Post a Comment