Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Journal #4- Traveling

During the summer of 2010, I traveled to Calgary, Canada to visit my aunt and uncle. I had never been out of the country, and I wasn't really excited about going. I would have much rather spent my time laying out by the pool and attending all the fun parties my friends would be having while I was gone. My expectations were very low for the trip which is why it turned out to be the greatest adventure of my life.

We left for Calgary from an airport in St. Louis, Missouri. The flight was eight hours, and I was lucky enough to be sitting by a stranger, a large, smelly female to be exact. I enjoy traveling, whether it be by train or plane, because you are surrounded by strangers. It makes me wonder where each person is from and what they do. Silly, I know, but the mystery is fascinating. When we finally arrived in Calgary, my aunt and uncle were waiting for us. Calgary, Alberta, Canada is best known for the Calgary Stampede, an internationally known horse stampede, so cowboy hats and boots were commonly seen throughout the town. In fact, the first person I saw when I departed the plane was dressed in full cowboy suit, leather belt, hat, and fur satchel included. I can remember thinking, "I'm from Pleasant Plains. I didn't need to travel to a different country to see cowboys."

While in Canada, we went white water rafting and hiked on the most beautiful mountains. We traveled up a glacier, and I got to drink water straight from it. We also got to see black bears, elk, mountain goats, and moose within yards of our vehicle. We did things on the trip that I could never have imagined or even dreamed of. Traveling to Canada ended up being the most beautiful adventure that I have ever been on. It's funny how what started as low expectations turned out to be my favorite place on earth.






No comments:

Post a Comment