Saturday, November 19, 2011

Journal #19- Nature & Spirituality

I have found so much of my inspiration from life in the lyrics of music. One of my favorite groups, The Dixie Chicks, includes such relatable messages in their music. The following is one of my favorite choruses of all time from the song, Wide Open Spaces.
 She needs wide open spaces 
Room to make her big mistakes 
She needs new faces 
She knows the high stakes
These lyrics also do a very nice job at describing the importance of nature and spirituality in life. I feel that being raised in the country and around nature has made me who I am. I have developed different values and outlooks compared to someone that has grown up in the city. I have always had that place in nature that I can visit to feel clam and free. Living in the country, where everything is so open and free, has had an effect on who I am. I am open and carefree, not so uptight and crazy. I also find that living in the country makes on a harder worker. I don't know if it's the midwest in general, but I have always felt that I work much harder than those who live on the coastal regions. This will come in handy when I am competing against others for job positions.

The lyrics discuss the need for one's wide open spaces. I would consider this finding one's spirituality. Being alone in a field all by yourself is one of the best ways to find your true self. Being who you really are and being proud of who you are is one of the most important accomplishments in one's life. Spirituality can also have to do with one's beliefs and values. It is important to believe in something because that's a large part of your values.

No comments:

Post a Comment