Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Journal #11- Aphorism


Misery Loves Company.
- ancient writer, Sophocles (c. 408 B.C.)

I honestly believe that no one can understand this quote better than a teenage girl. Our lives revolve around drama. One day it’s a fight with this girl and the next it’s a rumor about another. I admit, being constantly surrounded with drama is no way to live, but there are just people out there who can’t help but start it. And it just so happens to be that I am friends with quite a few of them. I know, I’m great at picking friends, but that’s another topic/another blog/another day. This aphorism isn’t to confusing. It deals with those who feel the need to bring others down with them when they aren’t in the best of moods. I can come up with a number of instances when friends aren’t having the best of days, and they have to make a rude comment to bring me down to their level. There used to be one girl in my group of friends who we called ‘The Tornado’ because whenever she was in an unhappy mood, she would come through and destroy the attitudes of all the girls in the group. Let me tell you! This girl had a talent for doing this. It was scary how much drama she could create between us when really she was just having guy troubles and wanted all of us to feel as bad as she did. Thankfully, ‘The Tornado’ is no longer in my group of friends. After she left, all the girls took a sigh of relief because we were able to relax and not have to worry about what tornado’s next freak out would be. I don’t understand why people feel the need to do this. I would much rather get advice or comfort from a friend instead of making them feel as bad as I do. It’s a sick way to act, and thanks to ‘The Tornado’, I know not to surround myself with people that act this way anymore.

1 comment: