Monday, August 15, 2011

The Grapes of Wrath: Chapter 8

During the trip to Uncle Tom's house, Tom tells Casy about his aunt's death. His  uncle blamed himself for the death of his wife because he ignored her illness.  However, positive actions came from his tragic event. He became a very generous  man towards others. "He figures it's his fault his woman died. Funny fella. He's  all the time makin' it up to somebody. Give away about ever'thing he got, an'  still ain't very happy (Steinbeck 69)." I can understand the guilt Uncle Tom  must feel because his wife's death is a little bit his fault, and I can also  understand how he isn't completely over the event. I just think that instead of  people looking at him in an odd way for isolating himself maybe they should talk  with him. Communicating and support is a common way to help relieve issues. When  they arrive at Uncle Tom's house, Tom Joad's father is working outside.  Steinbeck used a large amount of descriptions and emotions during the reunion  between Tom and his father. It was really nice because I was really able to  picture the setting and feel a part of the special moment. Then Joad reunited  with his mother and eventually his little brother, Al. I found it kind of odd  and little humorous how Tom's ma, pa, and brother asked whether he had escaped  from prison. I don't think that would be my first reaction if I had seen someone  who had been imprisoned for awhile. Tom also learned about his younger sister  and her recent pregnancy. It symbolized how much time Joad has spent away from  home. He commented on how she was just a child when he left which makes me  sympathize with him because of how many memories he has missed out on. He will  now be able to create new memories as his family heads to California together.  Chapter eight was very informing and has got me interested in the story. The  novel started slow, but I am at the point where I want to keep reading to know  what will happen next.
[Bibliography]
Steinbeck, John. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2002. Print. 

No comments:

Post a Comment