Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Old Man and the Sea: Why do we read it?

The lesson that this novel teaches is one that is simple enough to be timeless, yet relatable to be interesting. The Old Man and the Sea preaches on practicing your skill, working hard, and never giving up. With all his years of fishing experience, Santiago knows how to handle any situation he might get himself into, even the journey with the marlin. He admits, "Never have I had such a strong fish nor one who acted so strangely. But perhaps he has been hooked many times before and he knows that this is how he should make his fight (Hemingway 48-49)." The old man's drive to continue fishing every day is one that every reader can learn from. Many people enjoy reading this novel because the message is so relatable. The problems that Santiago faces can easily be compared to any situation a reader might have. Santiago's passion for fishing, drive to keep his catch protected, and strength to survive are all great examples to look up to.

Let's be honest, the real reason many people still read this novel today is because they have to. I understand it's an Ernest Hemingway classic, but unless a novel contains wizards or vampires, it might as well be decoration in a library. Because classes, English 332 (cough, cough), assign novels, such as The Old Man and the Sea, to be read, students begrudgingly read through them. I will admit that a great number of classic novels have been lost due to the lack of interest America's youth has in the storylines, leet alone the act of reading itself. However, if I am being honest, the message and plot of The Old Man and the Sea was so vague and simple that I would almost consider it boring. I prefer a novel with a little mystery and drama. I most likely would not have given this book a second glance had I seen it at the bookstore. With that being said, I am glad the novel was assigned to me, therefore I HAD to read it. Now I can sound mature discussing an Ernest Hemingway novel, even if the only reason I read it was because high school English made me.


[Bibliography]


Hemingway, Ernest. The Old Man and the Sea. New York: Scribner, 2003. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment